Welcome to Definition of a Man.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Monday, June 16, 2014

Equinox Ad #1

An equinox is the day when there is equal hours of daylight and nighttime in both the Southern and Northern Hemisphere. In other words, the sun's most direct rays falls exactly over the equator. This happens twice a year. The Vernal Equinox, March 20th of most years, signifies the beginning of Spring, while the Autumnal Equinox, September 23rd of most years, signifies the beginning of fall.

But that's not what I'm talking about.

Equinox is a gym (fitness club) with 66 locations in the US, as well as one in the UK and another in Canada.

I don't know much about equinox, but I'm going to assume it's a snooty place and the business itself is filthy rich. What am I basing this on? Pictures of the facility I've seen online, and the way they promote themselves in advertisement.

For example, one of their campaigns is shot by photog Terry Richardson, who allegedly engaged in inappropriate sexual behaviors toward several female models. Because of that, this campaign is riddled with controversy. Take a look for yourself.
Yes, it's weird that an advertisement for fitness doesn't show any of the models at the gym, and the girls don't actually look athletic, but as far as controversy goes, this campaign is no worse than the million of other ads that exploits the beauty of super skinny female models.
And for me, as far as the male models are concerned (I know one of this is Lucas Kerr...though I'm not certain about the second model), this is about  in the same league as Abercrombie & Fitch risque, so the only thing I can do is applaud this campaign for being bold enough to not at all sell their product (fitness) like so many other campaigns do...

No comments: